Friday, June 19, 2009

Project list: Cottage Canopy

I came across an adorable play house on Ohdeedoh submitted by Camille back in January. It has got to be the sweetest little playhouse I've seen in a while. I LOVE the shingles and the quilted walls. I would love to make a little space for Gianna like that and I think I will replace Duncan's "fort" (see below) when Gianna is ready to move out of her crib into his old toddler bed.
I found even more inspiration for this project on Ikat Bag who made a Princess Pavilion over a circular table. I think the windows are precious (but how did she construct them?) and think a few flowerpots might be fun for Gianna's Cottage Canopy.

Some thoughts on this project:
  • I'm planning on using old sheets as much as I can. I have some nice floral ones that will do nicely.
  • I would like to put some pockets on the inside for her to store all of her "babies" in. She has so many in her crib and we don't have a spot to store them in the kids room.
  • I thinking about making one "wall" roll up/down. And put some windows on it, and maybe a faux door. We can have it up for sleeping and down if she wants some quiet play. I will probably throw this idea out though in order to make the project doable in the time I have.
  • Duncan's fort got unbearbly hot so I might hide some vents in the roof.
  • The fort sagged a lot. I will use more velcro to secure it and make sure I have a snugger fit. I might have Andy move the bed into my sewing area so I can actually test out the fit as I sew.
So I am hoping to be able to scrap together time to do this before her second birthday. Is four months enough time? Wouldn't it be wonderful to use it as a transition out of the crib into a wonderful girly paradise of a bed?

1 comment:

  1. Oh so cute!!! I want to make one!!! Now I just have to get a sewing machine and learn how to use it..... :)

    ReplyDelete